Robin's Leaders on Facebook

Robin's Leaders on Facebook

on the matter of angling with the fly in and around McKinney TX in County Collin.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Beatin' The Heat at Serenity

Set the alarm for 6:00 AM and actually woke up and headed out! It's easy to roll over on a Saturday morning and blow it off .But I didn't and I went and I am glad that I did.

It would have been nicer to get there before the sun got up but I won't get too greedy. At least I was on the water.

Started off with a yellow and chartreuse foam spider:
IMGP0229

This was the first fish of the day. He fought like a champ. Three weight rod was OK but I sure wish I'd brought the one weight. Two thirds less rod equals ten times the fun factor!
IMGP2001

I kept on working my way around. I switched over to a Bitch Creek nymph but that seemed not to be all that interesting so back to the oam spider. As I worked on down the north shoreline I saw a fascinating sight. A very small bass or a bold bluegill came out of the water a good four or five inches trying to nab a dragonfly out of the air .He was unsuccessful but I wished him luck in the future.

Off the western shore lies a flat where the bream bed each season. I have dubbed it "Catfish Alley" as this is where I landed this fellow a few weeks ago and then this morning a channel cat took the foam spider. What a battle! Again, my initial thoughts were "nice bass!" but then the rugged, slugging, bore to the core of the earth battle started telling me I had a cat. Then I saw his dorsal fin and there was no doubt.

Here he is. He refused to cooperate for the photo shoot!

IMGP2003

A little farther on down the shore I hit my last fish of the day, a little battling bass.
IMGP2005

Everybody liked that foam spider. This is despite my concerted efforts to increase my skills and learn to tie Bitch Creeks. I did land one little old bluegill on the Bitch Creek there at the end. But by then I was ready to go and was too lazy to take a picture.

I'm indoors now and plan on remaining so until late tonight or wee tomorrow.

2 comments:

Brad Yearwood said...

Nice Fish...where is Serenity?

Robin said...

Brad

Serenity Park is right off of Ridge Rd. and Eldorado. North on Ridge off of Eldorado, left on Berkshire and down the hill on the left.

Do you fish in or near mcKinney?

McKinney Trout Heros

McKinney Trout Heros
Long Haired Dave and I ham it up with corny "hero" shot

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Fly fishing...why? No good reason that I could take to court and hope to win with. I just like it. Helping others; now that's something I can get behind and participate in.